At least 75% of disease is nutritional, either in terms of how disease is developed, or how it could have been prevented. Junk food, fried food, red meat, and other popular foods are killing you slowly.
Your health is the most important thing you possess. These are 23 keys to health and wellness that one should keep in mind regardless of race, creed, class or environment. The articles in this book are written around these core principles, so you’ll find yourself revisiting these ideas as you read.
1. The traditional lifestyles of Original people (otherwise known as “Indigenous people” or “People of Color”) all over the planet were always in tune with their environment (even if they lived in cities).
2. Optimum physical health requires a nutritious diet, avoidance of toxins and other stressors that cause disease, and life’s essentials: clean water, clean air, sunlight, exercise, and rest. Deficiency in any area causes most of the health problems we experience.
3. The eating practices of Original/Indigenous/People of Color, all over the planet, leaned towards diets that were focused on vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, and other plant based foods. The consumption of meat has traditionally been a minor, if at all, part of the diets of Original people.
4. You can eat some meat and still be pretty healthy, but not if you’re eating SAD (Standard American Diet) amounts of it, or eating the chemical and parasite-filled kind we find at most grocers.
5. Clean on the inside, clean on the outside. We should be free of nastiness and parasites inside our body, and this cleanliness should be reflected on our exterior as well. With healthy practices, we won’t need to depend on artificial cosmetic processes and products to feel attractive. And because we live in a toxic environment, it’s important to fast and cleanse our internal systems regularly, no matter what kind of diet we’re on.
6. Western culture through White Supremacy (slavery, genocide, colonialism, terrorism) initiated the current downward spiral of sickness and disease amongst Original/Indigenous people all over the planet.
7. White Supremacy is anti-life. Through their doctrine of Manifest Destiny, they seek to be the ultimate consumers, devourers, users, conquerors with no thought as to how resources are to be renewed in the environment.
8. Original people don’t need the help of white people to assist in the recovery of their health and wellness. The way that most “health-conscious,” liberal white people approach our communities is patronizing at best. It’s just another manifestation of colonization. Also, in actuality, their information and resources about a holistic way of life were taught to them by Original/Indigenous people.
9. We are not anti-Western medicine, yet we do reserve the right to critique it and take only the best part that benefits our communities.
10. Too much of anything is no good. Some things are more dangerous in their excess than their lack – others, vice versa. For example, too much salt is more dangerous than too little, but too little Vitamin A is more dangerous than too much.
11. At least 75% of disease is nutritional, either in terms of how disease is developed, or how it could have been prevented. Junk food, fried food, red meat, and other popular foods are killing you slowly.
Excerpted from “The 23 Keys to Health and Wellness”. Full article found in the Hood Health Handbook Vol. 1 by Supreme Understanding.